2021 FFAR Vet Fellows Program
Key Dates & Information
Nominations Due: March 24, 2021
About FFAR Vet Fellows Program
Veterinarians trained in multi-species medicine, animal science and public health are key to addressing these challenges. However, despite the growing need for this expertise, few funding opportunities exist for veterinary students to gain experience in these research areas.
We partnered with the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges (AAVMC) to create a three-month summer fellowship for veterinary students to prepare future veterinarians for research and public service careers. The FFAR Veterinary Student Research Fellowships (FFAR Vet Fellows) provide unique research opportunities focused on global food security and sustainable animal production.
What we are looking for
- Agricultural economics and supply chain resilience, in the U.S. and globally
- Food access, demand, and nutritional security
- Mitigating the carbon footprint of agriculture
- Improving livestock production efficiency in tropical/subtropical environments or changing climate conditions
- Gene-editing, precision breeding and/or metagenomics research for improved production efficiency, health or welfare
- Surveillance and/or computational modeling related to the mutation, evolution, transmission and spread of animal coronaviruses and influenza viruses
This program does not support biomedical research or comparative medicine without a clear connection to food and agriculture.
Stipend support of $10,000 per student is provided for up to 15 students per year (limit up to two students per institution) to perform research with a qualified mentor and to attend the National Veterinary Scholars Symposium. Matching funds are not required.
- Am I eligible to apply?
This program is open to students currently enrolled in a DVM or VMD degree programs, including combined degree programs. Students that have already received a DVM or Ph.D. degree are not eligible. Prior research experience is not necessary to apply.
- How do I apply?
All applications must be submitted through our Grants Management System.
- Does this program require matching funds?
No matching funds are required for the Vet Fellows Program.