2019 Public Conversation: Fostering a Sustainable Future
October 11, 2019
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
1200 New York Ave NW
Washington, DC 20005
In accordance with the Farm Bill, we host a Public Conversation to update the public and members of the food and agriculture community about our work. This annual event includes a forum for the public and members of the food and agriculture community to address our leadership.
During our fifth annual Public Conversation, the public and members of the food and agriculture community heard from our leadership about recent accomplishments, including awarding our 100th grant to Blackfeet Nation and Montana State University. Our Board member, Dr. Chris Mallett presented our Strategic and Sustainability Plan which describes our pathway to financial sustainability. Our Executive Director, Dr. Sally Rockey also discussed upcoming projects and initiatives.
Thirteen guest speakers from the food and agriculture industry offered input on our Strategic and Sustainability plan.
The following guest speakers delivered remarks during the 2019 public conversation:
- Claire Baker, The Toothpick Project
- Bashir Barau, Federal College of Agricultural Produce Technology, Nigeria
- Erin Cadwalader, Entomological Society of America (ESA)
- Pam Coleman and Christie Tarantino-Dean, Institute of Food Technologists
- Jose Dubeux, University of Florida Agronomy Department
- Dorothee Goldman, Hammondsport, New York
- John Farmer, Irrigation Association
- Joyce Hunter, Vulcan Enterprises LLC
- Glace Flaherty, Tufts University
- Lara Moody, The Fertilizer Institute
- Ebenezer Saygba, Student
- Reshmi Sarkar, Texas A&M Agrilife Research
- Vikram Sunkara, FAARM LLC
We thank those who joined us and offer a special thank you to the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), who generously provided the space.