Sustainable Livestock Production
December 4, 2017
The Sustainable Livestock Production Convening Event explored challenges, innovations and future directions in sustainable livestock production. FFAR hosted the event to provide a unique forum for leaders from academia, industry, farm groups and U.S. government – public, private and nonprofit organizations – to identify knowledge gaps, high-impact targets for program development and opportunities for cross-sector collaboration.
View or download a summary of event speaker presentations, discussion outcomes and potential next steps for the Foundation for Food & Agriculture Research in advancing the science needed to support sustainable livestock production.
Session 1: Feed and nutrition, health and welfare under changing production practices
- Dr. Jayson Lusk, Purdue University: Economic and social considerations in livestock production.
- Dr. Sara Place, National Cattlemen’s Beef Association: Beef production.
- Dr. Juan Tricarico, Innovation Center for U.S.: Dairy production.
- Dr. Luis Tedeschi, Texas A&M University College Station: Nutritional modeling.
- Dr. Juan Loor, University of Illinois Urbana-Champagne: Systems approaches to animal performance.
- Dr. Rachel Hawken, Cobb-Vantress: Broiler production.
Session 2: Environmental sustainability
- Dr. Frank Mitloehner, UC Davis: Air quality research.
- Mr. Allan Stokes, National Pork Board: Pork production.
- Mr. Steve Rowe, CEO Newtrient: Nutrient recovery and management in livestock production.
- Dr. Hongwei Xin, Iowa State University: Egg production.
- Dr. Marty Matlock, University of Arkansas: Ecological engineering.
- Contact Details
Tim Kurt, Scientific Program Director
This event is made possible by generous support from the following sponsors:
National Corn Growers Association
Ohio Soybean Council